A married relationship licence shows the individual doing your wedding (the wedding officiant) which you have actually met most of the appropriate demands to be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be obtained from the registry agent workplace.
A registry representative problems a document that is 2-part. The part that is top a Registration of Marriage and also the bottom level could be the wedding licence.
The document that is fullenrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) must certanly be directed at the wedding officiant which will be performing your wedding. This really is a appropriate document and must certanly be held in good condition and never folded as it’s completely archived.
Conditions for a wedding
Banns (postings or announcements in a church) aren’t appropriate in the place of a wedding licence.
There are not any residency or citizenship demands.
There isn’t any right time frame that have to pass between your date a couple comes in Alberta in addition to date a married relationship licence is given.
Bloodstream tests are not necessary.
A wedding licence is legitimate for a couple of months from the date it really is given.
A wedding might take put the exact same time a marriage licence is given. There isn’t any waiting time.
An Alberta wedding licence is just legitimate for the Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take spot in Alberta.
You cannot apply for an Alberta marriage licence if you are currently married.
Whenever obtaining the marriage licence, you have to:
- Use together in the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, seek advice from a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm several affidavits
- It really is an offense to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your private information, and the entire names and delivery places of one’s parents (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you simply can’t:
- Be intoxicated by a medication or liquor
- Be linked to one another being a grandparent, moms and dad, kid, sibling or grandchild, by entire bloodstream, half bloodstream or use
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, speech or aesthetically reduced
- Either individual getting hitched is an adult that is assisted a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
You both must certanly be 18 years old or older.
You can apply for a marriage licence if all your parents and legal guardians consent to the marriage licence being issued, unless other conditions apply if you are younger than 18 years old. Talk with a registry representative for complete details.
You cannot marry in Alberta if you are younger than 16 years old.
That person may provide their birth certificate or immigration document – the other person must have appropriate ID if among the few don’t have appropriate ID
You simply can’t be currently hitched (either to one another or another person).
Your legal marital status must be one of several after:
- Evidence of divorce proceedings will become necessary; the divorce proceedings document supplied ought to be the document that is finalas an example, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A breakup document that claims a married relationship is dissolved in X length of time isn’t appropriate as it is impossible to understand in the event that documents that are final filed or perhaps the divorce proceedings ended up being contested through that time.
- Divorce or separation documents which are not in English needs to be translated; seek the advice of a registry representative for interpretation requirements.
- A death certification regarding the bride by mail spouse that is deceased maybe not required.
- Never ever been hitched
- No status that is marital are required.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment happens to be provided by way of a court, the individuals marital status reverts back again to just just what it had been before that annulled wedding took destination. The earlier marital status may need to be proven. For instance:
- As soon as the status that is marital the annulment is divorced, evidence of breakup needs to be supplied along with a duplicate for the court ordered annulment
- As soon as the past status that is marital never been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document will become necessary
Whenever a married relationship had been annulled, a duplicate associated with the court ordered annulment needs to be provided. Religious and annulments that are tribunal maybe not accepted, only court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents that aren’t in English needs to be translated. Seek the advice of a registry representative for interpretation demands.
When getting a married relationship licence, each associated with individuals who can be engaged and getting married should be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are now being signed), otherwise an interpreter will become necessary. Whenever an interpreter will become necessary, it really is your duty to produce one.
The interpreter should be:
- 18 years old or older
- Proficient both in English while the language translation that is requiring
Whenever registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient into the other language, then that registry representative worker may function as the interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The couple trying to get a wedding licence cannot interpret/translate for every single other.
There was a $40 federal government cost for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge an ongoing solution cost. Provider fees differ among registry agents.
How exactly to use
Step One. Make sure you qualify to try to get a married relationship licence
The wedding needs to be place that is taking Alberta over the following a couple of months.
Before you apply, make certain you as well as your spouse that is intended are.
Action 2. Gather your write-ups
Just take your ID that is acceptable with to obtain the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as divorce proceedings papers. Contact a registry representative, they could confirm exactly what papers you will require.
Step 3. Visit a registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative along with your intended spouse, appropriate ID and papers, and use for a married relationship licence.
When you use
A wedding licence is given as you wait.
Should you not have got all the given information and papers required, the procedure is supposed to be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence into the ceremony and provide it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document extremely closely for mistakes whenever it is got by you and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Also have mistakes corrected instantly.
Ahead of the ceremony occurs, errors could be corrected by way of a registry agent.
Following the ceremony occurs, mistakes must certanly be corrected by the amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any information that has been provided if the wedding licence had been released.
Relate solely to Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory holiday breaks) Phone: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 prior to the contact number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
For the deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5